Middle Eastern Falafel

By | 12/01/2013 Leave a Comment

I am living in the Middle East for the past 7 years and only now I am starting to cook a bit of Arabic. We usually go out to eat their food as I always thought that food needs to be authentic. And it is probably true that my hummus will never be the same as Lebanese hummus but it will be totally mine and it will be whatever I want it to be:)

So I decided to start with falafel. Easy enough that I won't just waste all the ingredients - yummy and healthy at the same time. I was mostly thinking about my kids and that it would be a nice change to our daily diet.

This recipe is super easy and all you really need is a blender and a frying pan. Here is goes:

  • 1 big chopped white or red onion (I used red as they have more flavour)
  • 6 garlic cloves or 1 tea spoon of minced garlic
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained
  • bunch of fresh parsley leaves
  • bunch of fresh cilantro/coriander leaves
  • 1 tea spoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
 Pulse onion and garlic in the food processor until they are all minced. Remove.
Put chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, salt, cumin and chili powder and pulse to only roughly chopped. Add the onion mixture together with baking powder and some flour. When you start pulsing this should form a non sticky small bowl. Put it in the glass bowl, cover and refrigerate for an hour.

When it is all chilled, set a pan over medium heat with some oil and pre-heat for about 3 minutes. Then add falafel bowls one by one (you can use ice cream scoop). Flip then after about 2-3minutes when they are all brown on one side. Once cooked throughout put them on a parchment paper and season with salt.

It is the best when served with pita bread and some tahini sauce.  

I have to admit that pic is not mine:( I just simply didn't have enough time to click as my daughter was clearing the plate and I think she had about 4 oversized falafels with tons of pita bread! Well done! I can now say that this recipe is kids tested! YUM!

This inspiration comes from Just A Taste.
 
 
SHARE IT:
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: